Would you like to help to provide a friendly and professional welcome to York’s 8.4 million annual visitors? If the answer is yes, we would love to hear from you.
Your main role will be to:
- Assist the Visitor Information Centre (VIC) team in providing information to visitors and residents who come to the VIC at 21 Parliament Street. This will include answering queries, actively promoting the VIC, its products and services and the city of York.
Additionally, you may be asked to support the organisation with help outside the VIC, by:
- Helping at York Railway Station, at our ‘information pod’, alongside other volunteers and/or staff to provide information for visitors arriving to York.
- Representing Visit York by liaising with city centre businesses, ensuring they are aware of events taking place in the city and feeding back any issues to our VIC and Membership team
Skills and Experience Required
- Be willing to commit to volunteering for a minimum of three months (to allow for rota planning)
- Be friendly, approachable with strong verbal communication skills
- Be committed to consistently providing an excellent service to visitors
- Be comfortable working in a busy but friendly environment
- Possess a good knowledge of the York and Yorkshire region and what it has to offer visitors or be willing to learn (training will be provided)
- Ideally, volunteers will have some background in a customer service environment
- Foreign language skills would be an advantage, but are not a prerequisite of the opportunity
Benefits and How to Apply
In return for your commitment to becoming a volunteer, we will offer you full training and entry to attractions in and around York, if you are able to commit to a minimum of three months of volunteering. You will also be invited to a range of Visit York / Make It York events throughout the year.
If you are interested in applying to become a Volunteer, please complete and submit the form below: